Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Following the trace of light - The Carrie Furnace


When we were in Pittsburgh for our last trip we booked the selfpaced tour of the Carrie Furnace in Rankin and ended up spending over four hours at this magical place (average tour would take only two hours). We seariously fell in love with the old lady and it was crystal clear that would love to return to this truely special place.

This time Gabi brought her tripod to work on some special and very dark parts of the furnace - something she had not fully covered at the first visit where she took pictures with the camera in hand, which is not ideal for this low light enviroment. Our special focus for the day was the Stock House that had fascinated us so much already at our first visit. 


From the outside it look almost harmless:




But from the inside it looks like an abandoned Borg space ship.

While Gabi worked in the dark with the tripod ... 




... I thought about what to do with my small camera and without special lense or tripod. My camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ10) is pretty good, but it is not the perfect choice when there is a lack of light and I personally do not like working with a flash at all. So I decided to make the best out of the situation and follow the trace of natural light through the Stock House


















After the Stock House I went for a little walk around the furnace and although I took already hundreds of pictures last time I could not go without snapping a few fresh ones today (and look how nice the weather was!)










I can just repeat myself - this place is magical and beautiful. You all should go and see yourself! Tours can be booked at the Rivers Of Steel Heritage Corporation website


Polaroids by Gabrijela Obert





1 comment: