Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Concert Klapa Cambi, Munich - October 2nd 2010


Klapa Croatia, Munich
Ugh – I am late with my update, guys. I know. Not that I sound like an alcoholic, but blame it to intensive Croatian beer tasting on Friday and delicious Croatian wine tasting on Saturday at the wonderful wine fair KROATINA in Munich.



But now to my latest topic:

Today I would like to introduce you to another part of the Dalmatian culture I really love – the music in general and especially traditional KLAPA singing.

The Croatian readers and fellow Dalmatia fans can skip the next paragraph but for the rest of you, I add here the short description Wikipedia has to offer for basic information:

"The klapa music is a form of traditional Croatian a cappella singing. The word klapa translates as "a group of people" and traces its roots to littoral church singing. The motifs in general celebrate love, wine (grapes), country (homeland) and sea. Main elements of the music are harmony and melody, with rhythm very rarely being very important.

A klapa group consists of a first tenor, a second tenor, a baritone, and a bass. It is possible to double all the voices apart from the first tenor. Although klapa is a cappella music, on occasion it is possible to add a gentle guitar and a mandolin (instrument similar in appearance and sound to tamburitzas).

Klapa tradition is still very much alive, with new songs composed and festivals are held. Many young people from Dalmatia treasure klapa and sing it regularly when going out eating or drinking. It is not unusual to hear amateur klapa singing on the streets in the evenings over some food and wine.

It is usually composed of up to a dozen male singers singing very harmonic tunes. In recent times, female vocal groups have been quite popular, but in general male and female groups do not mix. Festival of the Dalmatian Klapas in Omis is the most well know festival and has a long tradition in klapa music."

This text is correct so far, but in some parts it sounds a bit too much like “just having fun” than considering it as the serious form of music / art it really is.
If it is well done it needs people with really good and well trained voices. It is much closer to high level classical or liturgical music than to fun folk song singing.

O
f course there is a reason, why I post this now although I love klapa music for years:


On October 2nd I had the chance to enjoy one of the best Klapa ensembles of Dalmatia right here in MunichKlapa Cambi from Split.


Klapa Cambi, Split




















When I heard that our - very good - local group Klapa Croatia invited Klapa Cambi, I was really excited about it, because Klapa Cambi is one of my absolute favorites. They are famous for interpreting classic Dalmatian songs in a very fresh way and having lots of popular new songs in their repertoire including some of the best tunes of my favorite Croatian singer and songwriter Gibonni.

And what can I say? They did not disappoint!
The concert was absolutely wonderful. It was such a joy to listen to these amazing singers performing in a perfect balance of technical perfection and passion. LOVED IT!

My personal highlights were the Gibonni songs "Tempera", "Projdi Vilo" and "Cesarica" (performed mostly by Oliver but written by Gibonni) in the main section of the show and "Croatia iz duše te volim" and "Ruža Crvena" (one of our Trogir trip favorites) in the encore.

It was a wonderful and very Dalmatian night in the heart of Munichthank you Klapa Cambi and Klapa Croatia! 



Klapa Cambi and Klapa Croatia




And here is a video of Klapa Cambi for you to enjoy a bit of their art of singing:


And if you like that, I would like to present you as the final treat in this blog post the klapa performance I love MOST. Seriously - I need to cry almost every time I listen to this song and that's often!

Klapa Crikvenica live at Poljud, Split, with "Vilo Moja":


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful music! I love a cappella music anyway, and especially the choir parts in classical opera or orchestral works, so i´m very much into the harmonics of human voices blended together. Klapa seems to be the "folk" version of that, combining the formal precision of preclassical music/Gregorian chants with the soul of traditional music. And it´s so relaxing to the mind!

    ReplyDelete