Monday, July 5, 2010

She’s a good girl ... loves Jesus and America, too / Part 1 - 4th of July

Don’t worry. This posting is not about religion. Not that there would be nothing to say about it, but it is definitely one of those private topics I am not planning to discuss here in public. The headline is just a quote from Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin’ ” and the important part of the line is “and America, too”.



I told you already something about places I love like Munich, Croatia in general or my village Rogoznica and today I would love to focus on the third country after Germany and Croatia I have a soft spot for in my heart – the USA. And could there be a better day than July 4th? I don’t think so.


There are a lot of people in Germany, who associate the USA with total freedom, unlimited possibilities – a place where you can make all your dreams come true.


That’s not me.


Maybe the reason is that I have too many US friends -people, who are not dreaming of having a life like in the movies, but live real, regular lives. Maybe I know too much about the downsides of the American lifestyle – especially when I look at it from the German perspective of social security and the high standard of living we are used to here.


But of course this is only one side of the medal. On the other side American culture is affecting almost every part of my life:
That starts with my absolutely lovely US friends and great coworkers (as well from my old team in my former company as from my recent team) and goes on with all the American music, art, literature, movies, … I really love and which are influencing my life a lot and ends with the very special feeling I have in my tummy, when my airplane goes down over the San Francisco Bay and allows the first view down to the Oakland Bay Bridge. Not speaking of the incredible feeling, when you are driving from New York City over to Long Island and look back to the breathtaking beautiful golden skyline in the evening sun.


It’s a special feeling – not to compare to with anything else – and slowly, every time I am crossing the Atlantic it gets a tiny bit more difficult to leave again.


And so it’s really a fact: She loves America, too.


I am already planning more postings about this topic and then I will write about some of the places I love most, already visited or which are very high on my travel list.
So watch out for “She’s a good girl … / Part 2" and more!


Happy 4th of July everybody!


PS: Speaking of American art influencing me – the flag I chose is not the “correct one” but an artwork of one of my favorite artists, Jasper Johns, and is part of the collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Tina. In every culture I have ever lived in there have been positive and negative elements. The United States is no exception. I have a favorite memory like yours -- driving from Philly to NYC in the evening, jazz music blasting, the twilight sun still reflecting in the windows of the highrises including the WTC. A definite New York State of Mind.

    I love America, too.

    ReplyDelete