Thursday, July 8, 2010

Recipe of the day: Octopus Salad


I know it is not Paul's fault. The only thing he did was - chosing the correct team.

But I am super, super, super sad about the loss of the gorgeous German team last night and I need to do something with my emotion and need to find somebody I can blame. Could be the referee, who is responsible for Mueller not being on the field last night - he was missed so badly. Could be last night's referee who could have given us one or maybe two penalties. Could be simply our team for just not playing well enough. Could be the Spanish team for playing too well for us (but they weren't that good - just difficult to play against, but sure not made to carry you away in a wave of enthusiasm). But that is all not doing the job for me.


I feel like blaming the damn Octopus - yes I DO! And that is how I would like to channel my energies:
Octopus Salad Croatian Style
Take 1,5 kg = 2 octopus that were cleaned and frozen - freezing for at least 2 days makes cooking easier, tenderizes octopus meat.

Almost defrosted, place in a pressure cooker with some water, and cook for about 30 minutes - depends how large octopus you have. Leave it to cool a bit in that water.

Now chop one large red onion and put it in a serving bowl, sprinkle with salt to make it "sweat" - this makes onions more pleasant to eat.

Add 1 chopped green pepper and 2 chopped tomatoes (seeds removed). Cut off tentacles and remove the skin and suckers - if the octopus is properly cooked, it comes off easily, just wipe it off with your fingers.

Cut into small chunks, add to the serving bowl, plus2 spoons of capers preserved in vinegar, some chopped or whole olives, olive oil, juice of 2 lemons, grounded black pepper.

Stir and refrigerate for at least one hour, serve with bread.

Sorry, Paul - but it helps ... emotionally!
The recipe and picture can be found here.
DOBAR TEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment